The Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992
What are they, how do they affect you, and how can you best implement them?
The Manual Handling Operations Regulations (often abbreviated to MHOR) is a piece of Health & Safety legislation that affects both employers and employees. It passed in to law in 1992, and was amended in 2002.
Where can I review the Regulations in full?
- The Regulations can be downloaded free of charge as a free PDF document (L23) from the Health and Safety Executive.
- The Regulations can be purchased in printed form from the Health and Safety Executive. The printed publication was last revised in 2004 (ISBN: 9780717628230), and is currently priced at £8.95 on the HSE website.
How can I ensure that my business is compliant with the Manual Handling Operations Regulations?
- Follow the guidance contained within the Regulations.
- Ensure that you have up-to-date and concise Risk Assessment plans in place for all the manual handling tasks that your employees undertake.
- Ensure that adequate and frequent training and refresher training for your employees is provided.
- If you have your own Manual Handling Instructors, then you must ensure that your instructor training & refresher commitments are being met.